Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Two tests

Wandering the backrooms of blogspot, I encountered Karen's blog and found a link to a test for Catholics. I'm not a Catholic but a more-eucumenical-than-most independent.

Only reason I took it (as opposed to just showing to my Mom who is a Catholic) is that I've been reading/watching/listening to more Catholic teachings inthe past few years and wondered how much had 'rubbed' off.

I came up as Evangelical Catholic.

--------------------------------------------
You are a Protestant convert, or have been affected by evangelical Protestantism in some way. You love Scripture and incorporate into your daily life. You have a clear vision of Catholic morals and doctrines, and you make great effort to adhere to them. However, your interpretation of Scripture may not be in line with Catholic teaching, and you may not accept legitimate plurality in doctrinal expression. You might want to read the Fathers of the Church and Papal encyclicals to deepen your Catholicism.

Evangelical Catholic 95%
Radical Catholic 71%
Traditional Catholic 62%
New Catholic 57%
Neo-Conservative Catholic 50%
Liberal Catholic 26%
Lukewarm Catholic 5%
----------------------------------------------

Mom came up as an Evangelical Catholic too, but by a much lower margin.


According to many Baptists & Evangelical protestants I have talked to, I am very much a moderate in my worldview. The more bigoted 'liberals' online would brand me as extremely right-wing, but then they seem overly ready to apply that label in any case.


In this test

I scored as Classical Humanist.

You think that persons are ontologically good but morally bad. You are traditional and orthodoxy is very important to you. You are most likely Catholic, or else your religion is ancient, with a long continuous tradition. You have a good sense of humor and like to take things easy. You aren't a very exciting person, but are dependable. You think that people need to cultivate the virtues of prudence, temperance, fortitude, and justice. You think that the study of science is good, but don't often keep up with the products of technological progress. You believe that the study of history has great application to understanding current events. You think that people can govern themselves most of the time, and that government needs to be mainly small; however, you do not expect too much of government. Your favorite philosophers are Plato, Aristotle, Confucius, Marcus Aurelius, Augustine of Hippo, and Thomas Aquinas.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

At one time I admired all of these folks. Now I admire some of their sentiments but do not agree with others. Actually my favorite philosophers right now are the Apostle Paul, C.S. Lewis (he was more than a logician), G.K. Chesterton, and...Terry Pratchett. [Hey, I had to say something shocking or you'd get bored!] Actually, what I mean by this is that I find my views on many things are similar to Pratchett's, except when they disagree entirely. (After all, philosophy is a simply a well thought-out point of view that affects how you view other things in your life.) As Terry isn't a Christian, this happens often but less often than with many writers...or maybe it just seems that way because of the amusing way he expresses himself. Guess I'll work that out later. My opinions do change over time.

I was reading Plato's Timeaus last week (Becka's latest book report came from it, so I wanted to refresh my own memory). I surprised myself by disagreeing wholeheartedly with everything Socrates said. I should reread The Republic soon and see how much my viewpoint has changed about that one.

You live, you read, you choose a philosophical view....and then you change your mind. heh

No comments: