Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Grandma's Killer Fruitcake

I've often played this particular Christmas kooky song for friends & family..so I am tickled to finally have a shareable version from youtube. I have to say though, the video isn't much. You may want to just listen and look away from the screen for a few minutes.



Yes, this is the same guy who had that hit "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer." I like Killer Fruitcake better.

My Mom suggests that my great fondness for this silly song stems from a running Christmas gag in a branch of our extended kin. They kept re-gifting the same fruitcake in a tin for YEARS. One of the things everyone looked forward to at the Christmas gathering was finding out who would be left holding ... BUH BUH BAAAHH.... The Fruitcake O' Doom (Doom doom doom). One Christmas it managed to be given 3x before the weekend was over!

They finally had to get a new fruitcake after one of the uncles ate it on a bet (Yes, he was drunk at the time.) Amazingly, he didn't seem to suffer any ill effects. Guesstimates on the fruitcake's age at the point... ~12 yrs.

And, yes, I still like fruitcake. ;-)

2 comments:

Rebehm said...

Heh heh

I think I know what made The Killer Fruitcake deadly - the lady may have added WAAAAYYY too much sugar and baked it too long, explaining how it got to be "harder than the head of Uncle Buckey".

Salar37_Shushan said...

She obviously didn't use enough liquids either. Another possibility- Maybe she got her candied fruits and nuts from clearance sales or discounters who had got them from stores after they were considered to be too old to sell.

Candied fruits & and shelled nuts don't obviously decay for a llooonnngg time...but the fruits can get extra dry & the nuts can get rather bitter as the years pass. ;)