Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Chinese food for thought

Do you collect those little sayings you get in the fortune cookies? We keep them many times. They are fun as long as you don't take them too seriously. Sometimes later one will jump back off the fridge or out of a drawer and I'll reread it & consider the message. Amazing how often those have seemed timely. Lately one jumped off a fridge and announced I did well in being demonstrative in my affections - which encouraged me to give my Mom & daughter (who were standing nearby) a hug. heh

Fortune cookies & Chinese zodiacs on the menu always come to mind this time of year. Not sure exactly why, but it doesn't hurt the feelings of our favorite take-out place that we associate New Year's celebrations with moo goo gai pan.

I am usually curious as to what animal is associated with the current year by that system, though I don't check their actual horoscopes (or those for the western version either) for faith reasons.

I've found that, according to the net, this is the Year of the Boar (or Pig), sub-signs of fire & red . Which is a better sign than it sounds at first, according to this page-

People born in the Year of the Pig are chivalrous and gallant. Whatever they do, they do with all their strength. For Boar Year people, there is no left or right and there is no retreat. They have tremendous fortitude and great honesty. They don't make many friends but they make them for life, and anyone having a Boar Year friend is fortunate for they are extremely loyal. They don't talk much but have a great thirst for knowledge. They study a great deal and are generally well informed. Boar people are quick tempered, yet they hate arguments and quarreling. They are kind to their loved ones. No matter how bad problems seem to be, Boar people try to work them out, honestly if sometimes impulsively. They are most compatible with Rabbits and Sheep.

Chivalrous, loyal, & gallant? Sounds good to me! My clan will have at least a couple more of those, if all goes well. :D

I found the elemental additions interesting, because I and a close relation were born on the same animal year but we are very different. The usual write-ups on the Chinese restaurant menus never fit us both well unless you added in the metal / earth/ water/ wood/ fire modifications.

But -have you ever noticed how many of the signs/elements could sound like 'you' if you didn't know which one was yours? I did this once - cut the signs out so you can't tell which one is supposed to be yours...then try to pick yours out (using a second menu to track your success). Ask other people if they want to pick theirs out. [As a more casual test you can just cover up the signs and ask those in your party to guess. I've done this many times.] I've never seen anyone get it right.

Just an eggroll for thought ^_^

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have noticed that there are no very bad years or signs on most of those zodiacs. Its not like the Aztecs or the Mayans.

Cid