Saturday, November 12, 2005

Bookshelf quiz

I wrote this post but it could still be considered a cheat of sorts because its lifted from my replies to a webboard forum questionnare. I figured it could do for today. Wouldnt mind hearing some of your answers to it. yes, emails are still okay.

I *am* still writing but will have to finish 10 talents later. Sorry to say, I've been fighting my usual fall flu bug of late. Praise God for His healing & deliverance!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What books you read as a child still linger in the memory in later years?

There are so many in that catagory!

I grew up reading Tolkein, C.S. Lewis (not just Narnia), S. Cooper, Asimov, Silverberg, R. L. Stevenson, Frank L. Baum, Jules Verne, Madeleine L'Engle, Mark Twain, Rudyard Kipling (have they really banned him? Thats very sad indeed), Ray Bradbury, a few by Oscar Wilde when mother wasnt looking....

As I got older, my mother shared more and more of her collection of classics, including the Great Books series (Plato, Bacon, Shakespeare...) as well.

As the grandpa said in Princess Bride, "in my day t.v. was called books"



Has a book forced you to re-think your opinion on a subject?

often! Latest being Hancock's Underworld book (on ancient ruins underwater)

The most important being the Bible. That work reshapes my opinions on a regular basis. Though I do enjoy studying other belief systems Tao and Zen.




Have you a favourite author and grab every book they have written?

Or as many as I can find anyway! Agatha Christie, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Ellis Peters, Terry Pratchett, Douglas Adams, George MacDonald, Jules Verne, G.K. Chesterton, Mark Twain, C.S. Lewis, Rand Miller...



Do you tend to stick to a single genre or do you read books on many topics?

I have favorite subjects, especially history, but I read a variety of things. I think most bibliophiles do.

Do you recommend books you have enjoyed to your friends?

yep! which ones depend on the interests of the friends. -


Has a film adaptation of a favourite book pleased or disappointed you?

I'd be very surprised if anyone answered this question with a 'no.' The delight is when they don't disappoint. I have hopes for a couple of movies coming out this holiday season.

1 comment:

Lillie Ammann said...

Thanks for posting your comment at Book Reviews by Christian E-Authors .

I love C. S. Lewis and other great Christian classics. As you said, CCEL and Gutenburg are excellent resources for finding great books.

In our blog, we generally stick to reviewing recent e-books or print books from small presses, primarily because there are some really good books available that readers can't easily find. Many, but by no means all, of the books are written by members of Christian E-Authors.

Glad you stopped by; I enjoyed my visit here!