Thursday, October 24, 2013

Humble Pie in an Amish Paradise




Amish Paradise is one of my favorite Weird Al tunes. That may seem odd since some feel this song makes fun of Christians in general & the Amish in particular, but I don't think it's all that bad. Every time I see or hear it, I just remember how much I liked the Amish people I've met. Besides, those who can't take a gentle ribbing generally have ego issues, and we called to be humble Christ-like lovers of mankind. Occasionally that means eating a little humble pie with good grace.

Aside from using the word "fool" - devout believers like the Amish avoid insulting others like that - it's kinda true. I've never been Amish, but I have lived in some very basic rural situations, and some of those weren't but a few miles down the road from real Mennonites. I loved those guys! This is how I relate (at least to some of it.) Back to the land living is indeed plain, simple, peaceful, beautiful, but those not raised with that kind of quiet life often get freaky without all the usual noises and distractions. Yes, the lady is plain, but not ugly. She's just not what 'modern' people are used to seeing. This is the whole point of the song - even when its an Amish Paradise - when all is well, the weather is nice, the animals are healthy, the crops are abundant, and the Amish are actually having a great time, most city folks look at their lifestyle and go "Blech!"

Weird Al points out some of the stupidity the Amish put up with, and how they are likely to be tempted to respond. (You could even consider that part a warning to the English. Quit pushing them. They are human. They do have feelings.) As for those who make fun of the practical, old-fashioned clothes they wear? The Amish have long ago learned that is rarely worthwhile to respond to shallow, silly mockers, but you may as well know that you look just as ridiculous to them.
wink smiley photo: wink wink.gif

My favorite bit is this ~

"Think you're really righteous? Think you're pure in heart? Well, I know I'm a million times as humble as thou art! I'm the pious guy the little Amlettes wanna be like - On my knees day and night scorin' points for the afterlife"

ROLFLOL!!!!

Cracks me up every time because I have seen that one! I've met so many sincere believers who started off making some radical life changes in order to walk before God as perfectly as possible. Initially they knew that what they were doing was not required for salvation or even a close walk with God, (though the dedication and devotion that inspired that choice was beautiful IMO) but then they got to the point where they figured that only those who live just like they do are the 'real' Christians or maybe they recognize that other believers will probably go to heaven but are sure that they are 'scoring far more points for the afterlife' because only their sect is all that serious about following Jesus. IMHO, Weird AL has caught that particular head-trip perfectly. His lines show how pride can trip up even the kindest, most determinedly humble folks. It's not just the Amish, guys! We ALL have to watch out for that trap. Real humble pie shouldn't gas you up like that!



No comments: