Tuesday, November 09, 2010

You Gotta Be...

One of the last songs that was a favorite with me when I was in college in the 90's was Des'ree's "You Gotta Be." (When I quit receiving any support to finish, I also quit listening to the radio much.)

 Just another one of those songs that meant (and still mean) a lot to me, so  I thought I'd share. If that seems like an odd choice, its because you probably aren't translating the lyrics the way I am. I do believe that we gotta be...as tough, kind, fair, bold (courageous), wise, etc as we can...and we will still need Love (God) to save the day.




Yep. Its another lost personal treasure rediscovered. Somehow I thought it was Sade who sang it on the radio...which explains why I hadn't run across it before now. (Argh!)

I hadn't realized until now - but I think Michelle Obama looks (a little) like Des'ree. Maybe that's one of the reasons I liked her even before her obvious concern for her family and down-to-earth approach became well-known. I think everyone was rooting for her when she decided on growing her own organic gardens (and sharing them with local schoolchildren).  I can't support many of her husband's policies, but she seems like good people to me.

No comments: